Why PTA? To make every child’s potential a reality!
PTA is built upon the belief that parental involvement in their child’s education is essential to their success. PTA’s activism around issues involving the education, health, safety, and welfare of children and youth have brought about significant improvements in children’s lives.
Read more about the PTA’s Legacy here.
Washington State PTA was founded in 1905. It is the premier parent organization, with more than 130,000 members in more than 875 local PTA’s. Read more about the WAPTA Legacy here.
Find resources to help your child succeed grade by grade.
WSPTA’s Legislative Platform
The Washington State PTA legislative platform is a two-year platform to mirror the Washington state legislative cycle. On the even-numbered years, the new platform is voted on by members at the legislative assembly in the fall. The top five issues become our short-term platform and consist of our priority issues when advocating throughout the year. Other issues are placed on an “also supported” list. During the odd-numbered years, members vote to amend current issues or to add new, emerging issues to the also supported list.
Top 5 Legislative Priorities for 2017-2018:
- Social Emotional Learning
- Amply Fund Basic Education
- Closing the Opportunity Gap
- Standards for Paraeducators
- Breakfast After the Bell
2018 WSPTA Suppoorted Issues:
- Addressing the Teacher Shortage
- Best Practices for School Meal Policies
- Career Connected Learning, CTE & Stem
- Dual Credit Equality & Support
- Engaging Families in Student Success
- Equity for Highly Capable
- Improving Educational Outcomes for Foster Children
- Post-Secondary / Higher Education Access and Affordability
- Preventing and Mitigating the Impacts of Gender-based Violence
- Removing Barriers to Implementing ECEAP (Early Childhood Education and Assistance Program)
- Restorative Justice and School Safety
- School Construction and Class Size Reduction
Visit the Washington State PTA website to learn more about these issues.
PTA is the oldest and largest volunteer child advocacy organization.
Advocating for your child doesn’t have to be scary or hard.