Why PTA? To make every child’s potential a reality!
PTA is built upon the belief that parental involvement in their child’s education is essential to their success. PTA’s activism around issues involving the education, health, safety, and welfare of children and youth have brought about significant improvements in children’s lives.
Read more about the PTA’s Legacy here.
Washington State PTA was founded in 1905. It is the premier parent organization, with more than 130,000 members in more than 875 local PTA’s. Read more about the WAPTA Legacy here.
Find resources to help your child succeed grade by grade.
WSPTA’s Legislative Platform
The Washington State PTA legislative platform is a two-year platform to mirror the Washington state legislative cycle. On the even-numbered years, the new platform is voted on by members at the legislative assembly in the fall. The top five issues become our short-term platform and consist of our priority issues when advocating throughout the year. Other issues are placed on an “also supported” list. During the odd-numbered years, members vote to amend current issues or to add new, emerging issues to the also supported list.
Top 5 Legislative Priorities for 2019:
- Social Emotional Learning
- School Construction and Simple Majority for Bonds
- Prevent Gun Violence
- Strategies to Address the Teacher Shortage
- Strategic K-12 Investments to Close Gaps
You can read more about the Washington State PTA platform on there website @ WA STATE PTSA.ORG
2019 WSPTA Supported Issues:
- Best Practices for School Meal – Lunch
- Best Practices for School Recess
- Engaging Families in Student Success
- Fund Paraeducator Training
- Increase Access to High-Quality Preschool
- Raise the Age of Tobacco and Electronic Nicotine Delivery Systems to 21
- Safe School Plans and Emergency Preparedness
Visit the Washington State PTA website to learn more about these issues.
PTA is the oldest and largest volunteer child advocacy organization.
Advocating for your child doesn’t have to be scary or hard.